Monday, 13 September 2010

My first gusset

Today was about learning, I learnt one of the ways to take a pattern from an existing corset. Put it inside-out on a stand, and piece by piece lay paper of it and feel the edges, drawing and shuffling pins all the while. Its not particularly scientific, but it did work and was pretty simple, even with quite a curvy corset, I just had to be patient with it and keep checking. We tried using fabric to draw on first, but the stretch made it too inaccurate, a lack of tissue paper meant I actually used interfacing, unusual choice maybe, but it worked excellently.
Some of the pieces contained gussets - I've never made a corset with gussets before, they were actually pretty simple. When Denise had tinkered with the pattern to make it all neat and fitting, I cut the pieces out of courtil.
I stitched round the gusset slot (probably not the official name) with a large stitch, and used the stitch line as a guide to fold and press the raw edges under.
I then matched up the gusset, pinned it, and stitched it. Simples. Thanks to some wonderful pattern cutting it matched up perfectly.

I made the new pattern into a toile, and it worked really well. Its not fully boned, but the real thing is going to look lovely. It will be part of the costume that the wings are for.


  1. It's good to have you back in the same country darling - and to see you back being busily creative again!
    Love mum xx

  2. Even without being boned it's looking good!